Multiple agencies assist in high-speed pursuit, fugitive arrested

(Filed March 27, 2014) Kevin Goff, age 20, of Smithland, Ky, faces numerous charges after units from multiple  agencies were called to assist in a high-speed chase covering approximately 18 miles.


Lieutenant Brent White was on patrol in Marshall County on March 27, 2014 at 12:08 a.m., when he observed a 1997 Pontiac on the Jackson Purchase Parkway with an expired registration. A computer check revealed that the vehicle's registered owner also had an operator's license that was suspended indefinitely.


Lieutenant White attempted to conduct a traffic stop on this vehicle; however, the operator disregarded the officer's emergency equipment and accelerated to speeds reaching 100 mph. The driver continued to flee from the 43 mile marker until ramping onto I-24 at the 52 mile marker.  After traveling a short distance on I-24, and nearly colliding with a tractor-trailer, the operator exited onto US 62 and continued to flee east bound.


Upon reaching the intersection of US 62 & 641, the operator turned onto US 641 toward Draffenville. The operator accelerated to speeds reaching 120 mph. As the operator approached the Tatumsville Road intersection, Deputy Nathan Maxlow of the Marshall County Sheriff's Department deployed spike strips on the highway in an attempt to stop the suspect's vehicle.


The fleeing vehicle made contact with the spike strips, but continued for over one mile before reaching the intersection of KY 1422. At this intersection, the driver stopped the car and fled on foot. Lieutenant White was assisted at this time by Sergeant Mark Balentine of the Marshall County Sheriff's Department. After running through two residential yards, the operator was taken into custody without further incident by the two officers.


The operator was identified as Kevin Goff of Smithland. It was determined that in addition to the traffic and pursuit related charges, Goff was a wanted fugitive from multiple Kentucky counties. Goff was subsequently lodged in the Marshall County Jail and charged with the following offenses:


Speeding 26mph or greater over the Speed Limit (Limited Access), Operating a Motor Vehicle under the Influence of Alcohol/Drugs .08 Aggravated Circumstances 1st Offense, Operating on Suspended or Revoked Driver’s License, No Registration Receipt, No Registration Plates, Failure of Owner to Maintain Required Insurance 2nd Offense, Reckless Driving, Disregarding a Stop Sign, Disregarding Signals of an Officer Directing Traffic/Fleeing, Fleeing or Evading Police 1st Degree (Motor Vehicle), Fleeing or Evading Police 1st Degree (On Foot), three counts of Wanton Endangerment 1st Degree, Criminal Mischief 3rd Degree, and Person 18-20 Possession/Purchase/Attempted Purchase/Have Another Purchase Alcohol.  He was also charged with three warrants for Failure to Appear out of McCracken, Marshall, and Lyon counties.


The pursuit lasted for approximately 18 miles. The Kentucky State Police was assisted by the Marshall County Sheriff's Department, Calvert City Police Department, Benton Police Department, and the Kentucky Department of Fish & Wildlife Resources.